Okonomiyaki Changes in Different Places! How Are They Different?#Culture ,#Eat&Drink ,#Hiroshima Local Food ,#Japanese Foods ,#Trivia ,#Useful
Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki, Kansai style Okonomiyaki, and Tokyo’s Monjayaki. All these are common in how they are cooked using a spatula using ingredients such as cabbage, wheat, tempura bits, and so on. I will now introduce the unique traits of each one, and explain how they are different!
- Contents -
Hiroshima Style Okonomiyaki
Known for its Large Amounts of Cabbage And Soba!
wheat, cabbage, bean sprout, green onion, fried squid, pork belly, stir-fried noodles
How to make:
- Spread the batter on the iron plate like a crepe, and put chopped cabbage, bean sprout, green onion, and fried squid on top, followed by pork belly on top and more batter, and flip it over to cook.
- During that time, fry the fried noodles and flavor it with sauce. Once it is done, make it round and about the same size as the Okonomiyaki.
- Put 1 on top of the stir-fried noodles.
- Spread the beaten egg in a round shape about the size of the Okonomiyaki and cook it, and then put 3 on top of it.
- Flip it over and spread sauce on it, top with mayonnaise, dried green seaweed, and bonito flakes according to preference, and it is done.
Kansai Style Okonomiyaki
Known for Its Soup Stock Flavor and Its Fluffy Batter with Yam!
wheat, broth, yam, egg, cabbage, green onion
How to make:
- Mix the wheat, broth, grated yam well. Put the chopped cabbage, green onion, egg in a bowl, and mix everything as if inserting air with the spoon from the bottom.
- Spread 1 on the iron plate until it is about 2cm thick. Once it is cooked, place the pork belly on top and flip.
- Place the lid on top and steam it, and once it is cooked, flip it over once more to cook.
- Spread sauce on it, top with mayonnaise, dried green seaweed, and bonito flakes according to preference, and it is done.
Tokyo’s Regional Cuisine!
wheat, broth, water, worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt, cabbage, stir-fried noodles, tempura bits, sakura shrimp, red pickled ginger
How to make:
- Mix the wheat, broth, water, worcester sauce, soy sauce, salt together.
- Cut the pork maintaining a width of 1cm. Chop the cabbage finely and cut the stir-fried noodles thinly.
- Put the fried batter bits, sakura shrimp, and red pickled ginger into 1/4 of the batter mixed in 1 and mix together.
- Put the portion with the ingredients in 3 onto the iron plate heated with oil. Cook as if cutting with the spatula, and create a donut shape.
- Pour the batter into the center part and sprinkle seaweed. When it starts bubbling, press down with the spatula to burn it and eat it.
Enjoy the Okonomiyaki and Monjayaki of Each Region!
“Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki” and “Kansai style Okonomiyaki”…while using the same ingredients, they are made and cooked differently, making it an enjoyable experience figuring out which you prefer.
Furthermore, if stir-fried noodles are added to Kansai style Okonomiyaki, its name changes to “Modernyaki”, which is eaten in the Kanto region, provides the enjoyment of using the spatula a little at a time while cooking.
Please give these delicious Japanese foods a try while experiencing the different between Hiroshima, Kansai, and Tokyo.
Tips for Eating at a Conveyor Belt Sushi Restaurant
The History, Rules&Manners of Itsukushima Shrine
Popular Convenience Store Snacks Among Japanese Kids, Best 10!
4 of the Best Gift & Specialty Shops in Hiroshima
A Light-Hearted Okonomiyaki Experience in OKOSTA ! Vegetarian and Muslim-Friendly
Let’s Go to Sankeien Garden, Bursting with Hiroshima’s Charm